students - Work in Canada after graduation

International students can work in Canada by applying for a student work permit.

Different kind of student work permits are as follows:
Work on Campus
Work off Campus
Work as a co-op student or intern
Work in Canada after graduation
FAQ: Post-Graduation Work Permit in Canada

Are you an international student who has recently graduated in Canada? Do you want to stay and work? If so, you may be eligible for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) in Canada.

The current global pandemic may have changed how the world works, but the world is still working. There are many employers who are currently looking to fill job vacancies. Despite what many people may believe Canada has not closed its immigration programs. If you are a recent graduate from a Canadian university, college, trade school and you want to stay in Canada and work you can. All you need is a post-graduation work permit.

What is a Post-Graduation Work Permit?

A PGWP is an open work permit that will allow you to work in Canada from one year to a maximum period of three years. The length of your work permit depends on the length of your program, i.e. 1 year course = 1 year work permit, 2,3,4 year course = 3 year work permit. The work permit is not specific to any employer you may change jobs at any time you like. This means that you can work in any field and do not require a job offer letter.

How Does A PWGP Work?

This is a very specific program designed for international students who have been studying full-time at a designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada. A DLI is an approved post-secondary school approved by the Government of Canada which can be either public or private. The PGWP depends on the length of the program. The work permit is typically equal to the amount of time you have spent studying in Canada. A two year program will typically equal a two year post-grad work permit. Keep in mind this is for full-time students only.

When Can I Apply?

You can apply as soon as your program has been completed. You have 180 days after your final marks have been issued from your school to apply. You must ensure that your study permit, and your passport are still valid when you apply. We suggest that you apply as soon as possible, you do not need to have your final marks issued to apply. The sooner the better.

Pro tip: As soon as you apply for your post grad work permit you can start working full time. You do not need to wait till it is approved.

What are the Requirements?

To be eligible to apply for a PGWP you must:

  • Have successfully completed a minimum 8-month study program that led to a certificate, diploma, or degree.
  • Were enrolled in full-time studies at a designated learning institution in Canada or part-time only during your final year.
  • Had an authorized gap in your studies of less than 150 days.
  • Have a valid passport.
  • Have a valid study permit or visitor visa.
Why should I Apply For a PGWP?

This program is a great way for you to gain Canadian experience. If your ultimate goal is to make Canada your home then this is a great next step to achieving permanent residence. For many it can be difficult to obtain a job offer in their specific field of study without some experience first. The government of Canada only issues one PGWP per person. If you have plans to continue your education in Canada at another school, you will not be eligible to apply for a second so apply carefully.

Why us:

Our software has many advantages for you:

  1. Marketplace of consultants to choose from.
  2. Fast and accurate application creation.
  3. Transparent process tracking system to follow along in real time.
  4. High success rate.

If you need help making an immigration plan or would like to know if this is the right program for contact a Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant. Give yourself the best chance and book an appointment now with a Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) today.

Help your spouse or partner work in Canada

How it works?

Application Portal