Live-in caregivers are individuals who are qualified to provide care for children, elderly persons or persons with disabilities in private homes without supervision. Live-in caregivers must live in the private home where they work in Canada.
Both the employer and the employee must follow several steps to meet the requirements of the Live-In Caregiver Program.
You will need:
- A positive Labour Market Opinion (LMO) from an employer in Canada
- A written contract with your future employer, signed by you and your employer
- Successful completion of the equivalent of a Canadian secondary school education
- At least six months’ training or at least one year of full-time paid work experience as a caregiver or in a related field or occupation (including six months with one employer) in the past three years
- Good knowledge of English or French
- A work permit before you enter Canada