Get a study permit

students in class - Get a study permit

To be eligible to study in Canada temporarily, generally it is a prerequisite for the foreign national that he gets a study permit. The applicant will require a Letter of Acceptance from a from a Designated Canadian Learning Institution before he is granted with a temporary study permit. The foreign student from visa exempt country should also ensure if he needs to apply for an eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization) to fly or transit to Canada depending on the origin of nationality.

To be eligible to get a study permit in Canada, a foreign national should meet the following requirements:
  • The prospective student should have been accepted by a designated Canadian learning institution.
  • The person will have to prove that he has an adequate amount of money to pay for his tuition fees, his living expenses and return transportation to his country of origin.
  • The person must have a clean record with no criminal background and provide a police certificate, if necessary.
  • The person should be in good health and undergo a complete medical examination if requested by IRCC.
  • The immigration officer must be satisfied that the person will leave Canada at the end of the stay authorized by the study permit.

In some cases, the foreign national does not need a study permit to go to school in Canada. If the prospective student needs to be in Canada for six months or less for studying, he might not need a study permit. A family member or staff member of a foreign representative to Canada, a member of a foreign armed force under the Visiting Forces Act or a foreign national who is Registered Indians in Canada might not need a study permit too.

As processing time of the study permit differ, and slow downs during busy times, it is important to apply for a study permit immediately upon receiving the Letter of Acceptance.

How it works?

Application Portal